Saturday, October 13, 2012

Struggling with Wax?




Are you struggling with wax?  It's easy to get frustrated with!  How many times have you touched an adorable chalk painted piece and found it a bit tacky?  Does it turn you off to waxing?  It doesn't have to.  I have done a little trial and error of my own and found the trick.

As you may know, chalk paint has a very unique mat finish and textured look to it.  The only problem is, it's pretty crucial to wax it, because when chalk paint meets moisture, it reactivates and can start coming off.  Waxing gives the final coat so that this does not happen.  It also helps a piece that is aged or multi-colored have more depth (see picture below).



 
There are two KEY pieces to successful waxing as a newbie (in my mind).  First is, brushing on the right amount of wax, and second is, your method of buffing.  I use a medium to small sized paint brush to apply the wax.  DO NOT get a lot on your brush...start by lightly stroking the wax twice and then lightly stroke your piece.  If you look at the picture below (just under the shadow line)...this is what the wax looked like just as I started putting it on.  Any more wax then that and your piece will be way to tacky.  Brush in strokes all over the piece to spread wax out and feel with your hand as you go to try and get it lightly even.  If you find a tackier spot, don't add more wax to other areas to make it even, just try and brush at it to spread it out and if that doesn't work you will just have to buff that area a little longer.
 
 
 
The second MOST HELPFUL piece of advice I would give you is find a round brush that attaches to a drill....NOT JOKING.  It's soooo worth it. 
 

 
 
 The first time I tried to buff a waxed piece, I used the brush shown in the picture below and omw... not fun, very sore, and the piece was still tacky.  There are wonder women(and men) who just use a cloth to buff...I'm not sure what their magic is, but the instant we broke out the drill...aaawwwww...the piece was soft as velvet.  Much quicker and less pain!!

 

 
 
There is a downside to the drill brush...it costs around $60 or so.  It is an investment, but if you love chalk paint and you know you will do a lot of pieces...especially big ones, take the plunge.  My motto is Sweet & Simple...that brush is my best friend!

Hope this was helpful!  Happy Saturday.



Linking up with:
A Pinteresting Party
Spotlight Saturday
Fridays Unfolded
Vintage Inspiration
Overflowing with Creativity

7 comments:

  1. Great advice! I have tried wax a couple of times and tend to get it on too thick. Don't particularly like the workout involved, either, so thanks for the tip about a drill brush!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I would have never thought of using a power tool! I use
    scott towels believe it or not and find they've worked best for me - but I agree it can get hard on the muscles buffing lol.
    Great post
    Your newest follower - would love to have you follow back when you have the time!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry - it's late - was already following you lol
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm working on my very first ASCP project and of course I couldn't have chosen a nice simple piece - oh no, I had to choose a round pedestal table and 4 farmhouse chairs!!! Kind of trial and error and I know I put the was on way too thick after reading this.

    I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Sounds like a great project! The drill brush was a savior for me!!

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of such an attachment. I'm one of those who builds serious muscle buffing and buffing with a clean dry cloth. Do you happen to know a brand name I could search to look into this? Thanks for thie tip. I'm following your blog now too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome!!! Been trying to perfect the waxing! I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete